One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A simple form of protein that is soluble in water and coagulable by heat, such as that found in egg white, milk, and (in particular) blood serum.
- ‘The latter phenomenon has also been found for other proteins, such as bovine serum albumin and human serum albumin.’
- ‘The body eliminates bilirubin by transporting it to the liver bound to albumin in the serum.’
- ‘A portion of the extract was used to estimate for soluble protein using bovine serum albumin as standard.’
- ‘Protein content was determined using the Bradford method with bovine serum albumin as the standard.’
- ‘Bovine serum albumin was used as a protein standard.’
- ‘At physiologic pH, bilirubin is insoluble in plasma and requires protein binding with albumin.’
- ‘The protein, albumin, normally carries nutrients to tumors that help them to grow.’
- ‘Normal urinary proteins include albumin, serum globulins, and proteins secreted by the nephron.’
- ‘A second method involves the use of thermally modifiable adjuncts such as serum albumin.’
- ‘In these cases the blood levels of total protein and albumin are low.’
- ‘Concentrations of SP-A were estimated by the fluorescamine method using bovine serum albumin as a standard.’
- ‘Fucose was ligated to bovine serum albumin and antibodies were raised against the conjugate.’
- ‘Serum albumins such as bovine serum albumin and human serum albumins are plasma proteins contributing significantly to physiological functions and act as carrier proteins.’
- ‘Wheat also contains two other proteins, albumin and globulin, which are soluble in water and dissolve when the flour is wetted.’
- ‘This leads to a relatively simple RRS of albumin in which selectively enhanced vibrations dominate.’
- ‘They tested the livers for the presence of human albumin, a protein produced only by liver cells.’
- ‘An alternative method is measurement of the ratio of protein or albumin to creatinine in an untimed urine specimen.’
- ‘The results were also verified by examining the spectra of two purified proteins, albumin and lysozyme.’
- ‘RB has modest affinity for nucleic acid and little affinity for albumin or either phospholipid.’
- ‘Protein, acetone, albumin, bile salts are also checked once in two months to evaluate kidney functioning.’
Mid 19th century: from French albumine, based on Latin albumen, albumin- (see albumen).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.