Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The proportion of the incident light or radiation that is reflected by a surface, typically that of a planet or moon.
- ‘Decades of photometry have been interpreted to derive maps of Pluto's surface reflectance, or albedo.’
- ‘This relation largely depends on the albedo of the surface surrounding the receiver and on the solar elevation angle.’
- ‘These aerosols are reflective and increase the albedo of the planet.’
- ‘Taking characteristic values for the average albedo (the fraction of sunlight reflected), size limits could be calculated.’
- ‘As more and more snow and ice accumulates year on year, so the reflectivity or albedo of the surface is increased, causing summer sunshine to have even less impact and accelerating the growth of ice sheets and glaciers.’
Mid 19th century: ecclesiastical Latin, ‘whiteness’, from Latin albus ‘white’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.