One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A native or inhabitant of Albania, or a person of Albanian descent.
- ‘It is the home of various people including Albanians, Vlachs, Greeks, Serbs, Bulgars, and Turks.’
- ‘A crowd of Albanians gathered in Mitrovica.’
- ‘The Italians and the Albanians had very firm ideas on what was right.’
- ‘He had refused to join paramilitaries who were attacking ethnic Albanians in their small Montenegrin village.’
- ‘The Albanians have wrought great improvements in their capital with a minimum of expenditure.’
- ‘The interior minister Ljube Boskovski said that the group included ethnic Albanians and foreign nationals.’
- ‘She explained that some Albanians visited Craven to get ideas to develop hiking and walking facilities in their own country.’
- ‘The Albanians know you can get a job on the Fiat line in Turin.’
- ‘While the Albanians were pouring back into the country, he had to flee towards Belgrade.’
- ‘The Albanians staged a war of passive resistance, forming their own schools and health clinics.’
2The language of Albania.
Albanian constitutes a separate branch of the Indo-European language group, spoken in Albania, Serbia (Kosovo), and elsewhere
- ‘Before arriving in England she could already speak English, Albanian and Serbian.’
- ‘Five percent of the people speak Albanian, most of these concentrated in the southern province of Kosovo.’
- ‘We repeat a few prayers in Albanian, but the liturgy is otherwise in English.’
- ‘The sisters speak English together, Albanian with their mum, and a mix of Albanian and English with their dad.’
- ‘I knew a few words of Albanian - enough to say hello and goodbye and thankyou.’
Relating to Albania or its people or their language.
- ‘NATO forces said they had gathered over 400 weapons surrendered by ethnic Albanian rebels yesterday, declaring the first day of their peace mission a success despite the killing of a British soldier.’
- ‘If the situation escalates, the National Liberation Army will spread out to all Albanian towns.’
- ‘Key partners of the accord, including the prime minister and ethnic Albanian leader, were among many absentees when debate resumed after being muzzled for two days by the parliament speaker over demands for refugee returns.’
- ‘The peace plan aims to undercut the rebellion by granting greater rights to the one-third minority in everything from the use of the Albanian language to greater recognition of Islam.’
- ‘Western sources said final accord on a package of reforms to give Macedonia's Albanian minority more rights in order to end a five-month-old guerrilla insurgency was expected either late yesterday or this morning.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.