Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Indian music) the improvised section of a raga, forming a prologue to the formal expression.
- ‘Like in other Indian classical forms, the alaap is the entry point to the raga.’
- ‘First, they outlined the raga in alap and they followed it up with compositions.’
- ‘This gliding technique allows him to play alap, the slow improvised invocation of a raga.’
- ‘During the alap (slow introductory movement) of ‘Shuddha Sarang,’ she displays a delightfully elaborate style, filled with entrancing slides and whining drones.’
- ‘After watching the recital, marked by an austere alaap and complex rhythmic patterns, students asked several questions.’
From Hindi alāp.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.