One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Indian music) the improvised section of a raga, forming a prologue to the formal expression.
- ‘During the alap (slow introductory movement) of ‘Shuddha Sarang,’ she displays a delightfully elaborate style, filled with entrancing slides and whining drones.’
- ‘Like in other Indian classical forms, the alaap is the entry point to the raga.’
- ‘First, they outlined the raga in alap and they followed it up with compositions.’
- ‘After watching the recital, marked by an austere alaap and complex rhythmic patterns, students asked several questions.’
- ‘This gliding technique allows him to play alap, the slow improvised invocation of a raga.’
From Hindi alāp.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.