One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Indian music) the improvised section of a raga, forming a prologue to the formal expression.
- ‘During the alap (slow introductory movement) of ‘Shuddha Sarang,’ she displays a delightfully elaborate style, filled with entrancing slides and whining drones.’
- ‘First, they outlined the raga in alap and they followed it up with compositions.’
- ‘Like in other Indian classical forms, the alaap is the entry point to the raga.’
- ‘This gliding technique allows him to play alap, the slow improvised invocation of a raga.’
- ‘After watching the recital, marked by an austere alaap and complex rhythmic patterns, students asked several questions.’
From Hindi alāp.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.