One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spitz (dog) of a Japanese breed.
- ‘Mr Wilson claimed the dog, believed to be a Japanese Akita, grabbed his right hand with its teeth and dragged him to the ground.’
- ‘Dogs such as Akitas, bull terriers and Rottweilers have a bad reputation due to the way they are paraded around by idiots.’
- ‘Dog breeder Mary Raby fears her stolen Akita could be used in an illegal fighting arena.’
- ‘Not surprisingly in a study of dog bites reported to Denver, Colorado, animal control officials in 1991, Akitas were among the breeds most likely to bite children.’
- ‘As Molly was sniffing the grass, an Akita, a Japanese breed originally bred to hunt bears, came bounding towards the other dog.’
Early 20th century: from Akita, the name of a district in northern Japan.
An industrial port city in northeastern Japan, on northern Honshu Island; population 326,309 (2008)
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.