One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A state of agitation, distress, and restlessness that is an occasional side-effect of antipsychotic and antidepressant drugs.
- ‘Two controlled trials have directly compared benztropine and propranolol in antipsychotic-induced akathisia.’
- ‘By the spring of 1999, 2,000 suicides by Prozac users had been reported to the Food and Drug Administration, at least a quarter of which appeared to be linked to agitation and akathisia.’
- ‘Common side effects of both older and newer antipsychotic drugs include akathisia - an experience of motor restlessness and jitteriness - and anticholinergic effects, such as sedation and delirium.’
- ‘Antidepressants are another group of drugs known to cause akathisia 3-5 but are not as well recognised.’
- ‘While not depicted here, it is suggested that the inhibitory input to these DA pathways produces the overt and covert restlessness characteristic of akathisia.’
- ‘Propranolol may help physical symptoms such as racing heart and akathisia (not FDA approved) but has no effect on psychic components of anxiety.’
- ‘Typical high potency side effects such as EPS, dystonic reactions, akathisia are rare with IV use.’
- ‘Dr. Healy continuously returns the issue of akathisia, a motor restlessness, as if this is unique.’
- ‘Homicide and suicide associated with akathisia and haloperidol.’
- ‘The major limitation of this study is that it was not a cost-benefit analysis and, therefore, does not indicate whether the small advantages in terms of reduced akathisia and neurocognitive function offset the costs of the drug.’
- ‘It can be difficult to distinguish akathisia from the agitation that is often present in patients with dementia.’
- ‘The most common early side effects of fluoxetine are agitation, insomnia, and neuromuscular restlessness resembling akathisia.’
- ‘Anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, impulsivity, akathisia, hypomania, and mania have been reported in patients being treated with antidepressants.’
- ‘Donaldson et al suggested that any benefit seen when propranolol is added to an antipsychotic may be related to its proven effectiveness for akathisia.’
- ‘Anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, mania, and akathisia (severe restlessness) are some of the symptoms associated with use of antidepressants.’
- ‘Diphenhydramine was frequently coadministered to prevent akathisia.’
- ‘The [D.sub.2] blockade in the nigrostriatal pathway causes extrapyramidal symptoms, which include drug-induced parkinsonism, akathisia, acute dystonia, and tardive dyskinesia.’
- ‘Short term treatment with antipsychotic drugs carries a significant risk of sedation, acute dystonias, akathisia, and parkinsonism.’
- ‘In some cases, patients who experience unacceptable rigidity, akathisia, or dystonia with high potency agents may benefit from a lower potency neuroleptic such as thiothixene or thioridazine.’
- ‘Neither dose nor plasma levels were significantly correlated with either akathisia or parkinsonian side effects.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.