Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Also known as.‘John Merrick, aka the Elephant Man’
- ‘We were soon to meet Gerard Starkey, aka Ged, a man who, like Alex Stein in London, would provide me with an exotic tour of his city.’
- ‘If you've got a minute, you can light a candle for Fred Warren, aka Nice Fred.’
- ‘The telephone company gave me one of the best explanations for how these rogue diallers - aka Trojan diallers - work.’
- ‘Who would have imagined that Ted White would lose in North Vancouver, aka The Land That Time Forgot?’
- ‘The camp was organized by St Lucia's number one basketball enthusiast Morgan George aka Mr Magic.’
- ‘Helping real writing talent to emerge: Willy Russell and Tim Firth, aka the Singing Playwrights.’
- ‘Shannon and her doll Felicity, aka Heather, are both dressed in paisley-print glitter dresses and boots.’
- ‘Daniel, aka Oscar, was a fun loving person, who never took life too seriously.’
- ‘Bartlet, aka Jack, is delighted by the whole McKie scandal, because everyone is getting it in the neck apart from him.’
- ‘In other news I know you are all sitting on the edge of your seat in anticipation of the Kerry aka K-Mac maiden voyage post.’
- ‘Jack, aka Green Fairy, dealt with the problem of not having enough unity of mind to write, in a manner most amusing.’
- ‘She might get paid for it, but this is not work for the sultry Jesse Randhawa aka Jasmeet Kaur.’
- ‘Mr Hatch, aka Fatman, has proven that he can at least get the mechanics of fathering right, if not the details.’
- ‘And as for the female protege, well she's Ms Tomi Rae, aka the current Mrs James Brown.’
- ‘Football, on the other hand, aka handball or American football, I just don't get!’
- ‘Brian, aka Danger Mouse, showed up and was very surprised to see me behind the decks.’
- ‘Every month Jonson aka Thornton goes out of his way to prove the truth of that, by demanding the RBA raise rates.’
- ‘Their vibrant music as well as the antics of front man Paul Kehoe, aka Scamall, guaranteed you a great night out.’
- ‘Next day I arrived at the Capital with the Princess, aka Paola Lombard.’
- ‘But how can I not watch it, when a true legend is involved - Mr John Lydon, aka Johnny Rotten.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.