One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A female pilot or member of the crew of an aircraft, especially in an air force.
- ‘The study would also put the Yorkshire-born pioneer airwoman, the first woman to fly alone to Australia from England, in the unlikely class of more subdued people.’
- ‘The 36-year-old American airwoman has landed after completing a solo flight of 2,300 miles across the Pacific from Honolulu.’
- ‘She was well known as an airwoman in the early days of flying and in 1930 was created a dame of the British empire for her services to aviation.’
- ‘Mail addressed to "Miss Amy Johnson, Famous Airwoman" arrived at the right house.’
- ‘Amelia Earhart, 36-year-old American airwoman and the first woman to fly the Atlantic, landed here at 1:30 this afternoon.’
- ‘Storms over the Pacific today forced America's premier airwoman to abandon her plan to start on her 27,000-mile round-the-world flight.’
- ‘An American airwoman becomes the first woman to fly faster than the speed of sound.’
- 1.1 A female member of the US Air Force of the lowest rank, below sergeant.
- ‘Our troops constructed a base for 5,000 airmen and airwomen.’
- ‘The book lists the names of those 18,000 officers, non-commissioned officers, airmen and airwomen stationed in North Yorkshire who were killed in action in the Second World War.’
- ‘As a Squadron Officer of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force, she motorcycled and flew to look after hundreds of airwomen in remote radar stations, and was twice mentioned in despatches.’
- ‘All enquiries should be made in writing giving the full name, rank and service number, where possible, of the airman/airwoman.’
- ‘The Air Force provides many different opportunities for airmen and airwomen.’
- ‘She joined the RAF in 1997 as an airwoman.’
- ‘Several airmen and airwomen from the Combat Air Lift Unit have been presented with certificates by a top-ranking member of the US Air Force.’
- ‘"Scotland's soldiers, sailors and airmen and airwomen are among the best in the world, and their bravery, loyalty and professionalism deserves our wholehearted care and support."’
- ‘Following the service, the Squadron Associations will present their annual awards to selected officers, airmen and airwomen.’
- ‘As a former Captain in the U.S. Air Force myself, I shared a willingness to protect and defend the United States of America with all my fellow airwomen.’
- ‘This is our first article in what will be a regular series about jobs for airmen, airwomen, and officers in the Air Force.’
- ‘Over recent weeks I have attended special farewell ceremonies for the sailors, soldiers and airmen and airwomen deploying under this operation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.