One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A blockage of the flow in a pump or pipe, caused by an air bubble.
blockage, obstruction, blockView synonyms
- ‘It is a pipe that runs from the toilet drain to the outside, usually to the roof. This prevents air lock in the drain line.’
- ‘If an airlock occurs, simply turn the pump on/off repeatedly until airlock clears.’
- ‘Their work started about an hour behind schedule because of trouble with an airlock.’
- ‘He then slowly filled the rest of the system taking care to avoid creating airlocks.’
- ‘Had this problem myself, what has happened is that you have an airlock in the hose from the tank to the burner so the oil is not getting to the burner.’
2A compartment with controlled pressure and parallel sets of doors, to permit movement between areas at different pressures.
- ‘The job will set the stage to restore use of the airlock as a base for spacewalks using U.S. spacesuits.’
- ‘In high-traffic areas, airlocks or vestibules are worth considering.’
- ‘The crew activated it before leaving the airlock and stowed it on the outside of the docking compartment.’
- ‘During that flight, Leonov performed the first space walk, leaving the spacecraft through an inflatable airlock for several minutes.’
- ‘The windows are triple-glazed, and the doors are freezer-grade, with airlocks.’
- ‘The shelters work by inflating quickly and have an airlock and pressure system which keeps out contamination.’
- ‘Patch says he and Paxton can do most of the repairs inside the ship themselves, but until the airlock and bay door is replaced, we won't be launching anytime soon.’
- ‘Space Shuttle Atlantis will launch July 12 to carry a new airlock to the International Space Station.’
- ‘For their part, Russian engineers believe a small air leak from their airlock hatch could be cause.’
- ‘The outer door of the airlock slid to one side when the air pressure in the airlock exactly matched that outside it, of course.’
- ‘A petty officer released the airlock door's locking mechanism and pulled it open.’
- ‘The snow blew in after us through the first set of doors in the airlock.’
- ‘He arrived at the briefing room, and the larger airlock doors, not pressurized at the moment, whooshed open.’
- ‘The airlock near the door hissed open as the transport completed its docking procedure.’
- ‘The ramp began to slide back inside the side of the ship and the airlock door automatically swung shut.’
- ‘Stepping into the airlock, he opened the door to the outside.’
- ‘Also it is usually necessary to have airlocks and space suits for astronaut egresses.’
- ‘Dual Russian and U.S. airlocks are functional and support spacewalks.’
- ‘These protocols may include sealed work areas, negative pressure, airlocks, powered air purifying respirators, and protective clothing.’
- ‘The door to the chamber slowly opened, just as the airlock door began to do the same.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.