One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large terrier of a rough-coated black and tan breed.
- ‘One of the Harrison's dogs, an Airedale Terrier, stayed with the trapped women throughout the ordeal.’
- ‘A native of Tullamore, she has been showing Airedale terriers for the last six years.’
- ‘Two Airedales were among the handful of dogs lost on the Titanic.’
- ‘The Airedale terrier found in the cathedral grounds of Dunkeld greets visitors with a wet muzzle.’
- ‘The Airedale is the king of the terriers and the largest of the terrier group.’
Late 19th century: from Airedale, a district in Yorkshire, where the dog was bred.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.