Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The money being offered by English agents who toured Ireland during 1940-42 recruiting labour for the airdromes proved very attractive, particularly as they also paid expenses to the workers to get to their destinations.’
- ‘Sometimes an airdrome or river might be misplaced but not difficult to sort out.’
- ‘The airdrome was a dirt strip almost within the city; one end of the short strip was 70-ft higher than the other end, so we always took off downhill and landed uphill.’
- ‘Glover saw the airdrome first and reported it to me.’
- ‘Early next morning, I went straight to the entrance of the airdrome.’
- 1.1A military air base.
- ‘One morning the whole group was summoned to a special intelligence briefing and told that no aircraft were to take off that day and that the airdrome anti-aircraft defenses would not fire at enemy aircraft that might appear!’
- ‘The target was to be a German airdrome behind the Austrian lines.’
- ‘From what reports tell me, you can't get a finer airdrome than you have got at Maxwell Field.’
- ‘I returned to the airdrome and was fired at by ground batteries.’
- ‘Our airdrome was the nearest to the front lines and the first one you came to returning from Anzio.’
- ‘On 14 October, a few days after Naples fell, we moved to the big airdrome at Pomigliano at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius, about 10-km east of Naples.’
- ‘Our squadron lived in a small two-story bullet spattered stucco house in an open field about 200-yds from the airdrome.’
- ‘The commander showed up and told our senior officer that he wanted to inspect the airdrome.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.