One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large warship equipped to serve as a base for aircraft that can take off from and land on its deck.
- ‘Plus, every parking space seems as big as an aircraft carrier flight deck.’
- ‘It will give the UK an aircraft that can take off from an aircraft carrier and provide the agility of a light fighter with the punch of a bomber.’
- ‘He is, after all, a Navy veteran, thought he was landing on an aircraft carrier, perhaps.’
- ‘They also learnt the lesson that the aircraft carrier rather than the battleship was to be crucial to victory in naval warfare.’
- ‘They either undershot or overshot whilst attempting to land on an aircraft carrier.’
- ‘The royal party watched a dynamic display of aerial and aquatic action from the flight deck of aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal.’
- ‘Flight deck operations on an aircraft carrier are about as stressful as actual combat.’
- ‘It was obvious that the aircraft carrier would be integral to this vision.’
- ‘Moreover, public support for the acquisition of an aircraft carrier seems high.’
- ‘This is a legacy of the Second World War, in which the aircraft carrier replaced the battleship as the capital ship of fleets.’
- ‘But within a year the aircraft was involved in an accident while landing on the aircraft carrier, HMS Ocean.’
- ‘Ever wondered what it's like to land on an aircraft carrier?’
- ‘This includes an aircraft carrier, four frigates, two destroyers, other ships and group troops.’
- ‘On an aircraft carrier, it could take you a month just to find your way around.’
- ‘Four people suffered minor injures when a crane toppled on to the flight deck of aircraft carrier HMS Invincible.’
- ‘This will allow Portsmouth Naval Base to handle the new generation of warships, particularly the future aircraft carrier.’
- ‘Yamamoto saw the aircraft carrier as supporting the battleship rather than the other way round.’
- ‘Three hours later, the American aircraft carrier, the U.S.S Wasp, drifted into position.’
- ‘Another friend is currently serving as a senior officer on an aircraft carrier for the Royal Navy.’
- ‘Wartime plans to construct an aircraft carrier out of ice left one Navy News reader bemused - but the tale is true.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.