One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Assistance given to ground or naval forces in an operation by their own or allied aircraft.
- ‘Without the ability to see friendly and enemy troops on the ground, such air support is almost meaningless.’
- ‘The Air Force objected to the Army having such a capability because tactical air support was the role of the Air Force.’
- ‘Modern ground forces use aircraft in traditional close air support roles.’
- ‘Aircraft and especially close air support might operate much more effectively then.’
- ‘Before they arrived in the country, carrier-based aircraft and others provided air support.’
- ‘The army often supplies air support for militia operations.’
- ‘They were supplied with weapons and air support from helicopter gunships and bombers.’
- ‘Coalition forces provided air support to drive off the militants.’
- ‘A very large maneuver area, a lot of air support and ground fire combined together on these exercises.’
- ‘Close air support from loitering bombers over the area of operations also proved noteworthy.’
- ‘Their main job is providing close air support to ground forces in the field.’
- ‘Intermittent rain and high winds were hampering clean-up operations and threatening to ground air support.’
- ‘Coalition ground forces wanted air support to take out harassing enemy artillery.’
- ‘One of the strongest points of this book is the portrayal of Mitchell's early commitment to air support for the ground battle.’
- ‘Their job is to control close air support and attack sorties and provide weather information.’
- ‘A helicopter hovers overhead, a bit of air support for the ground troops.’
- ‘The center also plans, directs and controls the sorties that provide troops with a constant tactical air support.’
- ‘It started small: first as reconnaissance and then as support to ground operations in the form of close air support.’
- ‘The unit has the only hardened bunker air support operations center in the Air Force.’
- ‘However, the ultimate success of the Australian Army depended on Allied air support.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.