Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An airfield operated by a navy or marine corps.
- ‘The helicopter operated out of the Culdrose air station Cornwall.’
- ‘It helped build bases in Vietnam and built a naval air station in Texas.’
- ‘When we went down and visited the Marine air station on Monday we were stunned at just how big a problem this really is.’
- ‘The last of the helicopters to serve in this role have left their base at Royal Naval air station Culdrose after more than 30 years service.’
- ‘The Rev Mike Brotherton, chaplain at RN air station Culdrose, set a target of swimming the 237 miles in the air station's swimming pool by the end of 2001.’
- ‘The arrival of the Royals was both unannounced and unexpected - and they pitched up at the Yeovilton air station the night before Christmas leave began.’
- ‘The naval air station's existence was brief, however.’
- ‘The Navy tower gave us permission to circle their historic air station while I explained its significance to my Army crew over the interphone.’
- ‘And I was just working, you know, I'd go down and do something at the naval air station.’
- ‘Action was taken to convert the base from an air station to an air reserve base with the signing of a supplemental record of decision.’
- ‘The Dive Centre has good launching facilities, an air station, dive shop and restaurant.’
- ‘The helicopters are based ashore at the air station at Yeovilton in Somerset.’
- ‘After the war the naval air station was closed and temporarily turned into a civilian airport that was also used to dispose of thousands of surplus aircraft from the war.’
- ‘A Royal Navy air station is proving a shining example in the world of rubbish.’
- ‘And the plane was based at the air station at Cherry Point, North Carolina.’
- ‘Built directly on top of a sensitive coral reef, the mammoth air station's runway will reach a mile into the Pacific Ocean.’
- ‘The air station's own contingent of police increased by 40 officers.’
- ‘The role of the Royal Naval air station at Prestwick will change from next month when a squadron decommissions.’
- ‘The 30-minute flight to the air station was uneventful.’
- ‘Apart from the exhibition and amusement park, people can also visit the Naval air station and museum.’
air station/e(ə)r ˈstāSHən/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.