Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A show at which aircraft perform aerial displays.
- ‘Spectators watching the French aerobatic team perform during the air show at an airfield outside Moscow on Saturday.’
- ‘Each of these women has made a big effort to be a part of the air show scene, loves aerobatics, loves aviation in general and is uniquely qualified for the job.’
- ‘The base commander decided in spring 1944 to hold an air show for the local townspeople.’
- ‘The pair then climbed 200m above the sea, to perform an air show that included flying backwards and virtually looping the loop.’
- ‘Instead, they sat on the deck while the air show team performed stunts and maneuvers over their heads.’
- ‘He will perform aerobatics during the air show.’
- ‘The air show and military display starts at 10 am on both days with displays from the Club followed by the large aircraft at 1 pm.’
- ‘The weather was perfect - a dappled blue sky the ideal backdrop for a fantastic air show which showcased the capabilities of both aircrew and aircraft.’
- ‘He was the team leader for the team in an exhibition at the air show.’
- ‘Every kind of airplane makes the pilgrimage to the air show, from homebuilts to personal jets.’
- ‘Yes, it's that time again - the annual air show of the Model Flying Club is here again.’
- ‘Their commander becomes the Defense Department's on-scene commander for operations at the air show.’
- ‘Looking to the skies during an air show, the audience is always fascinated by the speed of jet aircraft, especially fighters.’
- ‘And it's a win for us because it's our airplane doing the air show.’
- ‘Last Saturday I left the Museum site just before the air show display ended.’
- ‘The British squadron also sent three aircraft and a team of maintainers to the biggest air show in Poland.’
- ‘We were at a military air show and the lady with me asked that same question.’
- ‘The next air show is already being planned for 2005.’
- ‘The weather was perfect - a dappled blue sky the perfect backdrop for a fantastic air show which displayed the capabilities of both aircrew and aircraft.’
- ‘The aircraft is owned by the company which stages the air show.’
air show/ˈe(ə)r ˌSHō/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.