One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rifle which fires pellets using compressed air.
- ‘But he stressed that, by their unanimous verdict, the jury had decided he should not have fired the air rifle.’
- ‘Reports of an air rifle pellet being fired at school.’
- ‘Months of suffering at children's hands drove a young householder to fire an air rifle into a street of youngsters, York magistrates heard.’
- ‘The four day meet will have various air rifle and air pistol events in both men's and women's sections.’
- ‘A scope is almost mandatory for an air rifle, and airgun scopes can have great profit margins.’
- ‘A local man had to have an operation to remove a pellet, which police believe might have been fired from an air rifle.’
- ‘There were also allegations that an air rifle had been fired during chaotic scenes.’
- ‘A BOY, aged 14, was shot in the back with an air rifle as a gunman fired randomly from an upper-floor flat in York.’
- ‘They found a .22 calibre carbine and a powerful air rifle were not in the armoury where they should have been stored.’
- ‘This week, police were called after an air rifle pellet was fired at a classroom window while youngsters were having lessons.’
- ‘A 35-YEAR-OLD man who fired an air rifle after police were called in has been jailed for 18 months.’
- ‘Vandals have fired an air rifle at the windows of a pre-school.’
- ‘A woman on disability benefits narrowly missed being hurt by a youth firing an air rifle.’
- ‘He said he fired the air rifle because he was ‘extremely frightened’ for himself and his wife.’
- ‘In an air rifle the projectile is supposedly driven down the rifling of the barrel by a source of gas other than that provided by a fast burning mixture.’
- ‘He had entered through the shrubbery and had shot an air rifle at the bungalow, Mr. B. returning the fire.’
- ‘The pellet fired from an air rifle lodged just centimetres from Lee's eye socket.’
- ‘After losing some money to robbers and conmen, Edwards bought an air rifle and air pistol to ‘protect himself’.’
- ‘A MAN who killed a friend in his flat when he fired a powerful air rifle at him, not realising it was loaded, has been convicted of his manslaughter.’
- ‘Pellet selection ultimately comes down to which pellet is most accurate in your air rifle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.