Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The degree to which the ambient air is pollution-free, assessed by measuring a number of indicators of pollution.
- ‘Industrial, domestic, and natural pollutants contribute to poor air quality.’
- ‘It was a warm and humid day there, but I was really struck by the air quality.’
- ‘The nearby air quality monitoring station at last has something to measure.’
- ‘It would only mask the poor air quality for a short time in a small area.’
- ‘The rink's management has taken the decision to stop all smoking at the venue and improve the air quality to attract more families.’
- ‘The new norms are expected to improve the ambient air quality in the country, particularly in urban areas.’
- ‘The air quality was horrible until most of the debris was moved.’
- ‘The archaeologists have also obtained computer data on the air quality and soil composition of the tomb.’
- ‘The air quality alone must kill thousands every year and so far, only a fraction of the population owns cars.’
- ‘The air quality in the house improved slightly when I quit smoking.’
- ‘Crucially, she noted that the virus does not survive in an aircraft environment, due to the poor air quality.’
- ‘Industries, households and forest fires contributed to the poor air quality in major cities.’
- ‘All metros and local municipalities are required to have an air quality management plan.’
- ‘Poor air quality causes severe health problems, as was noted by the previous questioner.’
- ‘Concerning air quality, we continue to maintain a national network to gauge airborne pollution.’
- ‘The district heating companies will be able to reduce energy and water losses and improve the air quality in Pernik.’
- ‘Seoul was recently found to have the worst air quality of any OECD city.’
- ‘The purpose of the benefit was to raise money for an independent study of the air quality surrounding the local pulp mill.’
- ‘Both air quality and meteorological data are hourly whereas traffic data are daily.’
- ‘Indoor air quality can have a huge effect on how severe asthma symptoms are for many asthmatics.’
air quality/e(ə)r ˈkwälədē/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.