Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for filtering particles of dust, soot, etc., from the air passing through it, especially one protecting the air inlet of an internal combustion engine.
- ‘Most filters cost between $3 - $15 and can be replaced without much work - especially the air filter.’
- ‘An air filter for gasoline and diesel engines that drastically improves the burning efficiency of gasoline and diesel engines is provided.’
- ‘Anyhow, we had one of those, and a regulator, and a pressure gauge, and an air filter that all had to be assembled.’
- ‘Choose an air filter that has a small particle or HEPA filter.’
- ‘She recommended that people buy low-pile carpets and that they hoover two-to-three times a week with a special high efficiency particle air filter and buy synthetic rugs rather than woollen ones.’
- ‘The front bezel detaches pretty easily, no tools needed, and reveals some other features worth mentioning. the first thing you'll notice is the air filter for the front intake fans.’
- ‘Replacing the air filter and crankcase breather filters is a normal part of any tune-up, and of course, tests should be conducted on all electronic control devices and sensors to make sure they are operating properly.’
- ‘Not only because some customers are not only looking for increased performance out of an air filter but are also looking to make their intake/exhaust noise a signature of their cars.’
- ‘Among the parts stolen were a steering wheel, an air filter, a parcel shelf, locking nuts and a pair of sparks.’
- ‘83 percent of respondents said they must have or would prefer that their next vehicle comes equipped with a cabin air filter.’
- ‘Moreover, the device has an air filter which prevents dirt entering the ironing dummy.’
- ‘An air filter or cleaning device may be another quick fix.’
- ‘Autos and gas appliances are a source of heat and sparks, so consider cleaning the air of sawdust with an air filter after you finish woodworking.’
- ‘One for drinking water, another for shower and cooling water, a third for food and ‘human waste’, and a high-capacity air filter.’
- ‘I bought an air filter, a vacuum designed for those with severe allergies, and try to monitor the reaction that he has to plants and other things that I bring into the house.’
- ‘The engine air filter and exhaust muffler are mounted under the single-piece engine hood to provide a clear view over the front of the tractor.’
- ‘Not only will replacing a dirty air filter improve your fuel economy, it also will protect your engine. Clogged filters can cause up to a 10% increase in fuel consumption.’
- ‘Those who are bothered even after removing the source are wise to use an air filter, especially a HEPA filter, Field said.’
- ‘This will not only limit the level of grip on the track but, in terms of the engine, the air filter will play a more crucial role.’
- ‘Any presence of sand in the pistons, piston rings or valves would be catastrophic, and this means we pay particular attention to the air filter, bringing several different specifications.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.