One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system for controlling the humidity, ventilation, and temperature in a building or vehicle, typically to maintain a cool atmosphere in warm conditions.
- ‘I thought you had central air conditioning everywhere, so what are you complaining about?’
- ‘Mr Webster said the dangers of the Legionella bacteria in air conditioning systems were well known.’
- ‘Our room was up on the hill overlooking the sea, equipped with air conditioning and cool interior decoration.’
- ‘Oh well, makes a change from the high electric bills we had in the Philippines from air conditioning!’
- ‘Install an air purifier and change air filters monthly in heating and air conditioning systems.’
- ‘The building had no air conditioning, and the room had no windows, so we placed a standalone AC unit in the room.’
- ‘Regulations exist in the UK to make sure water supplies and air conditioning systems are safe.’
- ‘Soon we shall have to face the choice between a bit of air conditioning or a move to somewhere cooler.’
- ‘Local businesses were being advised to clean their air conditioning and water heating and cooling systems.’
- ‘In addition, a survey of local pharmacies found that none had air conditioning or kept a temperature log.’
- ‘The various generators and air conditioning systems made sure of that.’
- ‘We had no air conditioning in the warm months and clanking radiators in the winter.’
- ‘Climate control air conditioning is standard along with a single CD player.’
- ‘It is unbearably hot out there, yet in here I have a chilled water cooler and air conditioning.’
- ‘It's a fool's cool, however, and no substitute for good old-fashioned air conditioning.’
- ‘The cuts also meant air conditioning and fridges could not work in the stifling heat.’
- ‘Growing up in warm summer weather in NYC meant sunshine, humidity and air conditioning.’
- ‘On the comfort front all versions have air conditioning, electric door mirrors and windows and hi-fi.’
- ‘The constant high power air conditioning systems shoulder most of the blame.’
- ‘Not everyone has air conditioning here so a cool breeze is often top of the wish list.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.