Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bearing in which moving surfaces are kept apart by a layer of air provided by jets.
- ‘The counter mass, which floats on air bearings, is attached to a linear motor guide.’
- ‘This was a far cry from an earlier design in which the pilot sat in the center of the craft while a giant ring rotor, supported by air bearings, rotated around the outside.’
- ‘Its units rotate on air bearings and hence require no lubricating oil; maintenance costs are also said to be lower as a result.’
- ‘An integrated air bearing lessens friction in the moving parts.’
- ‘With an air bearing, frictional drag is lessened, bearing life increased, and higher shaft speeds are possible.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.