One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Directed or operating from an aircraft in flight to the surface of the sea or other body of water.
- ‘As warnings were broadcast, the Mirage fired two Exocet air-to-surface missiles.’
- ‘These included components for air-to-surface missiles, aircraft machine guns, armoured personnel carriers, combat aircraft, torpedoes and combat helicopters.’
- ‘Some costs are straightforward, such as the time, money, and political clout required to develop suitable air-to-surface ranges, carve out military operating areas, and provide and allocate training munitions and sorties.’
- ‘American tactical air doctrine had not changed very much, notwithstanding the progress made in both air-to-air and air-to-surface weapons.’
- ‘There can be hundreds of sorties on a daily basis to deliver massed strikes with precision air-to-surface missiles without flying above enemy territory.’
- ‘For ground attack, the aircraft can be armed with rocket pods, bombs, cluster bombs or air-to-surface missiles.’
- ‘‘We've got the best munitions with the best storage in the Air Force, and it's always ready to go wherever and whenever it's needed,’ said an officer.’
- ‘The anti-surface version is able to carry a range of air-to-surface missiles, including sea-skimming anti-ship missiles.’
- ‘At the same time, unmanned offensive air weapons, precision-weapon warheads and air-to-surface missiles are always within the range of military air defense weapons when the former engage protected installations.’
- ‘These older aircraft configured to carry air-to-surface missiles were reconfigured to carry the new supersonic missile.’
- ‘China has four different submarine-building programs and a massive inventory of surface-to-surface and air-to-surface missiles.’
- ‘The missile, an air-to-surface warhead developed in the past few years, is finally ready for action.’
- ‘It is a guidance kit that converts unguided free-fall bombs into capable and cost-effective air-to-surface smart weapons.’
- ‘On average, my pilots employed air-to-surface weapons twice on 85 missions during our squadron's 24-week deployment.’
- ‘‘I don't think there's any other organization in the world that takes care of family like the Air Force,’ said a program manager at the air-to-surface munitions directorate.’
- ‘The radar has ten air-to-surface and ten air-to-ground modes for navigation fixing and weapon aiming.’
- ‘It is effective against very small and very fast targets such as air-to-surface attack missiles.’
- ‘The new missile will fill a perceived gap in longer range air-to-surface defence capabilities following the retirement of the F - 111s and introduction of their replacements.’
- ‘The F / A - 18 is equipped with a range of precision weapons including air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles, laser-guided bombs and conventional bombs in addition to its 20 mm nose cannon.’
- ‘The NATO Frigate Helicopter can be armed with anti-submarine torpedoes, air-to-surface missiles and air-to-air missiles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.