Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Directed or operating from an aircraft in flight to the land surface.
- ‘Seven of the barrage's gates were damaged by air-to-ground missiles.’
- ‘Even so, there are still aircraft in which the delivery of bombs or air-to-ground missiles is clearly the primary role.’
- ‘A US official said that the car was struck by a Hellfire air-to-ground missile launched from a pilotless Predator aircraft.’
- ‘A detection and seeking system for use in air-to-air, air-to-ground and ground-to-air missiles.’
- ‘He was part of an air-to-ground liaison group that landed on Juno beach in Normandy on June 6 1944.’
- ‘It also can be used as a weapons platform carrying air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles.’
- ‘The appropriate ground or amphibious commander controls all air-to-ground and surface-to-surface attack operations.’
- ‘Germany was an early pioneer of air-to-air and air-to-ground rockets and missiles.’
- ‘The same rocket/warhead combination was also used by the RAF as an air-to-ground attack weapon, particularly against tanks and transport during the Normandy campaign in 1944.’
- ‘The first is that despite the accuracy and lethality of air-to-ground fire, the introduction of ground forces is still necessary to compel an enemy to capitulate.’
- ‘An array of avionics and electronics systems gives the F - 15E the capability to fight at low altitude, day or night, and in inclement weather and perform its primary function as an air-to-ground attack aircraft.’
- ‘In the beginning, the Hornets were armed with air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons, but military officials quickly realized there were no airborne threats.’
- ‘France has sent six Mirage 2000 air-to-ground attack aircraft and two C - 135 refuelers.’
- ‘The system is employed in a variety of modes, including autonomous, air-to-ground, direct or indirect, single-shot and rapid or ripple fire.’
- ‘The first requirement is for instruction in air-to-ground liaison in directing the US Air Force and the RAF to their targets.’
- ‘The multi-role fighter can be armed with air-to-surface, air-to-ground and anti-ship missiles, as well as rocket pods, bombs and cluster bombs.’
- ‘It is armed with new powerful air-to-ground and air-to-air missiles, an off-axis cannon, and an increased weapon payload.’
- ‘The army's procurement of the anti-tank version of the Hellfire air-to-ground missile was also a bad decision.’
- ‘In place of the out-dated, hand-operated wireless was the direct air-to-ground voice system enabling captains or first officers to rely on a more time-saving and safer form of communication.’
- ‘Further development has afforded the aircraft air-to-ground capabilities, extended range and more advanced sensors.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.