One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Directed or operating from an aircraft in flight to the land surface.
- ‘Seven of the barrage's gates were damaged by air-to-ground missiles.’
- ‘An array of avionics and electronics systems gives the F - 15E the capability to fight at low altitude, day or night, and in inclement weather and perform its primary function as an air-to-ground attack aircraft.’
- ‘Further development has afforded the aircraft air-to-ground capabilities, extended range and more advanced sensors.’
- ‘The first is that despite the accuracy and lethality of air-to-ground fire, the introduction of ground forces is still necessary to compel an enemy to capitulate.’
- ‘It also can be used as a weapons platform carrying air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles.’
- ‘A US official said that the car was struck by a Hellfire air-to-ground missile launched from a pilotless Predator aircraft.’
- ‘A detection and seeking system for use in air-to-air, air-to-ground and ground-to-air missiles.’
- ‘In the beginning, the Hornets were armed with air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons, but military officials quickly realized there were no airborne threats.’
- ‘He was part of an air-to-ground liaison group that landed on Juno beach in Normandy on June 6 1944.’
- ‘Germany was an early pioneer of air-to-air and air-to-ground rockets and missiles.’
- ‘France has sent six Mirage 2000 air-to-ground attack aircraft and two C - 135 refuelers.’
- ‘Even so, there are still aircraft in which the delivery of bombs or air-to-ground missiles is clearly the primary role.’
- ‘It is armed with new powerful air-to-ground and air-to-air missiles, an off-axis cannon, and an increased weapon payload.’
- ‘The appropriate ground or amphibious commander controls all air-to-ground and surface-to-surface attack operations.’
- ‘The system is employed in a variety of modes, including autonomous, air-to-ground, direct or indirect, single-shot and rapid or ripple fire.’
- ‘The same rocket/warhead combination was also used by the RAF as an air-to-ground attack weapon, particularly against tanks and transport during the Normandy campaign in 1944.’
- ‘The first requirement is for instruction in air-to-ground liaison in directing the US Air Force and the RAF to their targets.’
- ‘The multi-role fighter can be armed with air-to-surface, air-to-ground and anti-ship missiles, as well as rocket pods, bombs and cluster bombs.’
- ‘The army's procurement of the anti-tank version of the Hellfire air-to-ground missile was also a bad decision.’
- ‘In place of the out-dated, hand-operated wireless was the direct air-to-ground voice system enabling captains or first officers to rely on a more time-saving and safer form of communication.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.