One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Directed or operating from one aircraft to another in flight.
- ‘Although other factors contributed to the outcomes in both the Bekaa Valley and the Falklands, the air-to-air missile clearly had come of age.’
- ‘The very first air-to-air missile was an aircraft rocket designed primarily for antiballoon or anti-Zeppelin work.’
- ‘Pilots conduct most air-to-air training over the Yellow Sea, west of Kunsan.’
- ‘He is credited with 14.5 air-to-air victories and logged more combat hours than any other American pilot during WWII.’
- ‘The Air Force's two 707 air-to-air refuelling aircraft on deployment are due to return home soon.’
- ‘Well, direct air-to-air combat they're not very good at because of their status of training and their equipment and their status of spare parts.’
- ‘It is armed with new powerful air-to-ground and air-to-air missiles, a cannon, and an increased weapon payload.’
- ‘Some added more flight time by posing as enemy aircraft for air-to-air battles.’
- ‘In the air-to-air role, the radar operates in search, track and combat modes.’
- ‘In the general aviation field, what is the frequency for air-to-air communications and where may I find such information as a pilot?’
- ‘The helicopter can be equipped with a probe for air-to-air refuelling.’
- ‘The air-to-air refuelling probe is retracted into the aircraft to retain the aerodynamic profile.’
- ‘The world's most potent and technologically advanced short-range air-to-air missile has been accepted into service for the Hornet fleet.’
- ‘We will be covering the flights of the Stormbird and will be presenting air-to-air photographs of this World War Two classic in an upcoming issue.’
- ‘Missiles replaced guns as the main air-to-air weapons.’
- ‘The company buys from armed forces' obsolete stocks of air-to-air or air-to-ground ammunition.’
- ‘A great big thanks to Kurt Wien for the use of his airplane and his talent to make the air-to-air photo session a success.’
- ‘This aircraft can carry up to 3,800 kg of air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles, bombs and munitions.’
- ‘We brief these rules before every air-to-air flight, along with out-of-control procedures.’
- ‘For air-to-air combat Stinger missiles can be fitted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.