Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Mayonnaise seasoned with garlic.
- ‘And with a batter like that, you really wanted something to dip it in: garlic aioli or anything.’
- ‘For the red pepper aioli, in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade attachment, puree the red bell peppers and garlic until smooth, about two minutes.’
- ‘Spoon some mayonnaise or aioli over the fish fillets and put briefly under a griller, before serving the dish.’
- ‘In the end, I chose the tempura version with saffron aioli and red pepper salsa.’
- ‘We shared calamari with a pesto aioli, I had a roasted beet salad and Don had a Cesar, I had their signature short ribs and Don had their pasta special.’
- ‘On the lighter side, the cold spring rolls - filled with shrimp, mint, wasabi and roast garlic aioli, playfully garnished with cellophane noodles and black sesame seeds - were a refreshing surprise.’
- ‘Both mains were around the $16 mark, and we shared some shoestring fries with a lemon pepper seasoning, with a side of coriander aioli (I know, bad for the arteries, but what the heck).’
- ‘Chicken and coconut soup, pan-fried garlic prawns with leeks and saffron aioli, and crab parcels with sautéed lettuce all offered their particular charms.’
- ‘Chopped raw garlic lends an assertive flavor to vinaigrettes, salsas, and other sauces such as aioli.’
- ‘Curley serves them with ramekins of Southwestern aioli that's salmon-colored and chock-full of sun-dried tomatoes and dried chipotle peppers.’
- ‘The faint sourness of a pumpernickel baguette combined with slightly shredded slow-cooked salmon, watercress, and wasabi aioli is a delicious contrast of flavors.’
- ‘For the curry aioli, in a medium bowl, combine the egg yolk, garlic, ginger, and mustard and whisk until thick and lemon colored.’
- ‘Mine came generously topped with roast lamb and onions plus a very yummy garlic aioli (I declined capsicums).’
- ‘Slice very thinly and serve at room temperature, with squid ink aioli.’
- ‘For aioli: In a bowl, add the egg yolk, mustard, garlic, and paprika and whisk to combine.’
- ‘Suzanne Goin serves these burgers with an addictive chipotle aioli; for an easy version, blend one or two canned chipotle chiles into a cup of mayonnaise.’
- ‘Beneath the turkey was a rich garlicky aioli that contrasted and complemented everything beautifully.’
- ‘An aioli aromatic with coriander seed and lemon (mayo at its most celestial) makes for a strange and interesting contrast - not to mention the fact that it is good enough to eat straight.’
- ‘Again there were more than adequate choices in sauces, with aioli, wasabi, tartare, Thai plum sauce and blue cheese dip.’
- ‘His cod is must be among the best in Scotland, large translucent flakes, topped perhaps with a herb crust, a dollop of aioli and black olive tapenade.’
French, from Provençal ai garlic + oli oil.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.