A small silvery fish occurring only in the shallow waters around the Hawaiian islands, where it is a food fish.
- ‘This pond is one to three feet deep and is used to grow aholehole and mullet.’
- ‘Ryan Okino was fishing on the Puna Coast of the Big Island when he caught his state record aholehole.’
- ‘But currently at Hanauma Bay, the silvery aholehole swarm in the shallows all day, darting around human legs to catch free food.’
- ‘Rainclouds, rain, lush ferns, aholehole fish and certain types of seaweed revealed the god Lono.’
- ‘The fresh catch of the day is forever popular with visitors, especially the aholehole, or Hawaiian flagtail, a reef fish raised in island ponds.’