One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to express a range of emotions including surprise, pleasure, sympathy, and realization.‘ah, there you are!’‘ah, this is the life’
- ‘Ah, what did i get myself into? help please ...’
- ‘‘Ah, you poor child,’ answered the old woman, ‘what a place for you to come to!‘’
- ‘Ah, that's much better.’
- ‘Ah I see what you mean.’
- ‘There is a Polish folksong that I learned in school and the English translation starts, "Ah, lovely meadows green and wide."’
Middle English: from Old French.
In the year of the Hegira (used in the Muslim calendar for reckoning years from Muhammad's departure from Mecca in AD 622); of the Muslim era.‘a Koran dated 556 AH’
From Latin anno Hegirae.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.