One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of botany concerned with grasses.
- ‘The first stumbling block for most students is the specialized terminology of agrostology.’
- ‘Chase, Mary Agnes Meara, American botanist, widely regarded as an expert in agrostology, the study of grasses.’
- ‘Hence, an agrostology project was thought to be a highly important option for the state.’
- ‘Her agrostology course at CSU was widely acclaimed and she was friends with Agnes Chase, the famous illustrator for A. S. Hitchcock's Manual of the Grasses of the United States.’
- ‘Agrostology is dedicated to the detailed study of the economically most important group of plants -- the grasses.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek agrōstis (denoting a kind of grass) + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.