Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The science of soil management and crop production.
- ‘This course is for students of agronomy, biology, entomology, crop production, horticulture, plant pathology, weed science, and environmental studies.’
- ‘The most disturbing aspect of these data is not only that agronomy and crop science majors make up such a small fraction of total graduates, but that the fraction is decreasing.’
- ‘Charles Francis studied agronomy and crop breeding, then lived in several countries and worked with farmers with diverse cropping systems.’
- ‘These publications discuss subjects including soil, agronomy, nutrition, plant protection, agricultural economics and statistics.’
- ‘In addition, there is a large programme to fund research on a wide range of topics, including biology, physics, chemistry, agronomy, and human and social sciences.’
- ‘These cooperatives had portfolios that, between them, included grain, pork, turkeys, fertilizer, beef, agronomy and petroleum.’
- ‘It must continue to spread out into the practical fields of human service, such as agriculture, horticulture, agronomy, ecology, pathology, forestry, climatology, and medicine.’
- ‘In the fall of 2003, the authors and several of their colleagues conducted a telephone survey of representatives from a range of institutions offering a major in agronomy or crop science.’
- ‘The first series focused on informal economic activity covering animal husbandry, agronomy, wild fruits, thatch, art, curios and crafts.’
- ‘Obviously, recommendations to solve such a seemingly intractable problem as already low and decreasing numbers of graduates from agronomy and crop science programs will not be easy.’
- ‘This is in part because of the great success that has already been achieved in crop production through agronomy and crop protection.’
- ‘Organic farming requires the farmer to be a better farmer, a more observant farmer, a farmer who practices careful agronomy and conscientious animal husbandry.’
- ‘A further irony is that as critics of modern science, technology and agronomy become more vehement, the public level of knowledge about these subjects has not fared as well as the endeavors themselves.’
- ‘In succeeding years, grain merchandising, agronomy / fertilizer, feed sales and ready-mix concrete departments were added.’
- ‘He was a teaching assistant for introductory agronomy and crop management courses while pursing his graduate degree.’
- ‘The core group excludes several private colleges and universities as well as some public institutions that produce agronomy and crop science graduates but which are not part of the land grant system.’
- ‘Our search revealed a wide range of training opportunities available for just about every retail management challenge, from agronomy and soils to sales and finance.’
- ‘There, Borlaug oversaw foundation research in genetics, breeding, plant pathology, entomology, agronomy, soil science, and cereal technology.’
- ‘In his writing and frequent lectures, Jackson explores the intersection of science and society, agronomy and ecology, culture and politics.’
- ‘The advantage dealers bring is a knowledge of local agronomy, the grower's trust, and internal data management systems to monitor crops from planting to harvest.’
Early 19th century: from French agronomie, from agronome agriculturist from Greek agros field + -nomos arranging (from nemein arrange).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.