One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Growing wild in cultivated fields.
uncultivated, naturalView synonyms
- ‘Plants easily adapt to a multitude of agrestal and ruderal habitats.’
- ‘The overarching goal of my research program is to study and gain a better understanding of the impact of different factors on growth, population and community dynamics of agrestal, ruderal, and environmental weeds.’
- ‘They analyse for example how marsh beds, pond and agrestal plants develop, they experiment and document the results of the latest research.’
- ‘They are classified as ruderal weeds (= of waste places) and agrestal weeds (= of cultivated lands).’
- ‘Many, but not all, of these alien species persist as ruderal or agrestal weeds.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin agrestis ‘relating to the country’ (see agrestic) + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.