One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Cease to argue about something because neither party will compromise or be persuaded.
- ‘Perhaps the first step in creating a culture in which people are unafraid to speak out is to listen respectfully to each other's views, and be able to gracefully agree to differ where consensus is impossible.’
- ‘A few left, but most agreed to differ and the congregation grew.’
- ‘I stood my ground, and he stood his, and we agreed to differ, although he still remains a very good news source.’
- ‘And if reconciliation is impossible, agree to differ with grace.’
- ‘We obviously can't just agree to differ on these kinds of questions.’
- ‘I know passions tend to run high on this kind of subject, but can we all at least try to agree to differ and respect each other's paths?’
- ‘We agreed to differ on many things and we also dealt with the issues that we should be dealing with.’
- ‘One issue they agree to differ on is the mock exams.’
- ‘And we now agree to differ on some of the points which he and I earlier had a debate about.’
- ‘In some of the best debates in parapsychology the proponents and critics have ended up simply agreeing to differ or failing to reach any agreement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.