One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deficiency of granulocytes in the blood, causing increased vulnerability to infection.
- ‘In the United Kingdom the drug may only be prescribed by registered consultant psychiatrists; this reflects the serious adverse effect profile of the drug, which includes agranulocytosis.’
- ‘When reviewers repeated the trial years later, in a larger population, they found the incidence of this agranulocytosis was much lower than previously thought.’
- ‘None of the patients on the drug developed agranulocytosis.’
- ‘The latter one leads to agranulocytosis; hence monitoring blood investigations is necessary.’
- ‘Routine monitoring of white cell counts remains controversial, but results of one study showed that close monitoring of white cell counts allowed for earlier detection of agranulocytosis.’
Early 20th century: from a- + granulocyte + -osis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.