Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
lopsided, unsymmetrical, crookedView synonyms
- ‘A delightful event, but things gang aft agley when a certain mayor cracks wise about a certain nation's reputation for thriftiness and predilection for men in ‘skirts.’’
- ‘Sometimes we fail simply because we are poor, dumb, fallible, feckless human beings whose best-laid schemes gang aft agley.’
- ‘The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley.’
- ‘This is what the stretcher guy was planning on happening, but as the poet Burns is wont to say, the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley (well, he's dead now, but he did used to say it).’
- ‘For once, the best-laid economic plans of the meticulous Chancellor of the Exchequer went agley.’
Late 18th century: from a- on + Scots gley squint of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.