Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The representative of an Australian state or Canadian province in a major foreign city.
- ‘Each still retains an agent-general in London.’
- ‘Jim Maher, former press secretary to just exited NSW Treasurer Michael Egan, will not be going to Kabul as agent-general as suggested by the Sun Herald last week.’
- ‘Of course you can send your agent-general to London.’
- ‘At the outbreak of war, the agent-general in London for Queensland, Sir Thomas Robinson, became Director of Meat Supply for Allied Armies and remained in that position throughout the war.’
- ‘In 1896 Will became agent-general for New Zealand in the United Kingdom, and the family moved to live in London.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.