One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The age at which someone is considered able to manage their own affairs or take responsibility for their actions.
- ‘He said your client had reached the age of discretion, Mr Toomey.’
- ‘Females were judged to have reached the age of discretion for purposes of bequeathing a personal estate at 12 years.’
- ‘After attaining the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound to confess serious sins at least once a year.’
- ‘Between 7 and 14, called the dubious age of discretion, the child is still presumed to be incapable, but the presumption is not conclusive.’
- ‘The girls having reached the age of discretion, had, of their own volition, accompanied the men of their choice, the Bench said.’
- ‘The age of discretion comes individually, around seven years, when common bread can be distinguished from the Eucharistic bread, the true Body of Christ.’
- ‘The abuses which we are condemning are due to the fact that they who distinguished one age of discretion for Penance and another for the Eucharist did so in error.’
- ‘It held that in the two cases before it, the girls had reached the age of discretion and had, of their own volition, accompanied men of their choice.’
- ‘If any person arrived at the age of discretion profanely curse or swear or get drunk in public, he shall be fined by a justice one dollar for each offense.’
- ‘It changes the current temporary norm, which is to confirm children ordinarily between the age of discretion and about 18.’
- ‘The custom of the Latin rite makes ‘the age of discretion’ the reference point for receiving Confirmation.’
- ‘When he arrives at the age of discretion, the child has the right in the church to receive both sacraments.’
- ‘They selected an age range between the age of discretion and 16, to be determined by the diocesan bishop with respect to legitimate exceptions given in canon 891.’
- ‘Church Canon Law states: ‘All the faithful who have reached the age of discretion are bound faithfully to confess their grave sins at lease once a year.’’
- ‘Consequently the United States as a nation enjoys one of the world's widest ranges of ages for the conferral of confirmation: from the age of discretion to about the age of 16.’
- ‘The first case of the child of the age of discretion, under the Act that child cannot exercise that decision; it is a decision of the parent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.