One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Spontaneous hardening of a metal which occurs if it is quenched and then stored at ambient temperature or treated with mild heat.
- ‘It is also possible to get age hardening from a martensitic alpha structure, obtained by rapid quenching of the alloy from the beta field, but there is some loss of ductility in this condition.’
- ‘The structure of the alloys is relatively simple: the main constituent is Mg 2 Si, which in the heat treated condition is in solution and to which is due the age hardening after artificial aging.’
- ‘The effect of microstructure on fatigue is less well understood, though in the case of 2000 series alloys, the presence of coarser age hardening precipitates is undesirable.’
- ‘These methods include annealing, stress relieving, stress equalizing, solution treating and age hardening.’
- ‘Heat treatment may be necessary to meet specification requirements, such as stress relief of a fabricated structure to avoid age hardening.’
- ‘The precipitation-hardening or age hardening, as it is often called, is accomplished by the addition of increased amounts of titanium and aluminum along with special heat treatments.’
- ‘Up to 0.3% Cd may be added to aluminum-copper alloys to accelerate the rate of age hardening, increase strength, and increase corrosion resistance.’
- ‘Within limits, cold working the alloy between solution annealing and age hardening increases both the rate and the magnitude of the age-hardening response in wrought products.’
- ‘The importance of elastic misfit strains in age hardening has long been recognized.’
- ‘Most of the heat treatable alloys exhibit age hardening at room temperature after quenching, the rate and extent of such hardening varying from one alloy to another.’
- ‘By combining cold working with heat treatment, higher strengths can be obtained than can be achieved by either cold working or age hardening alone.’
- ‘Once the part has been formed, it can be subjected to age hardening.’
- ‘Most beta alloys can be welded, but because aged welds in beta alloys can be quite brittle, heat treatment to strengthen the weld by age hardening should be used with caution.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.