Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Asexual; reproducing asexually.‘winged agamic females’
- ‘In most cases it was agamic fusions of protists that preceded the origin of sexual process.’
- ‘Nor is there any evidence that agamic and gamic oviposition on a particular leaf is inversely related.’
- ‘In most cases, some kind of agamic fusion of protists can be considered as its prerequisite.’
- ‘The particular groups that I study are agamic complexes in the sunflower family.’
- ‘Using molecular markers, apomixis was shown to have arisen frequently and independently during the evolution of this agamic complex.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek agamos unmarried + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.