Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Dessert.‘there was apple pie for afters’
- ‘There was nice china and silver cutlery, with apple pie and cream for afters.’
- ‘Other afters included caramelised homemade brioche, banana tatin with a rum crème brulée and orange and muscat jelly with dark chocolate ice cream.’
- ‘When you were little did your mum used to send you to the ice cream van with a big bowl, to have it filled up with ice-cream for afters?’
- ‘I was going to prepare just a simple Lamb Roast Dinner with an apple pie for afters.’
- ‘It was lovely and the carvery was great, as was the minty ice-cream for afters!’
- ‘But a quick look around the neighbouring tables convinced me that next time I visit I will leave space for afters.’
- ‘The private detective arrived as they were trying to decide whether to have ice cream or cake for afters.’
- ‘The reception was held in a marquee and a further 200 arrived for the afters, making it one of the biggest weddings seen for sometime.’
- ‘We had roast potatoes and cauliflower and then something like apple tart with custard for afters.’
- ‘After a rather substantial evening meal consisting of home made meat pie with all the trimmings and trifle for afters, we got ourselves prepared for the trick or treaters.’
- ‘There are even a couple of creamy comforting Iberian desserts for afters.’
- ‘We'll make a special meal too, including our famous condensed-milk and lemon pie for afters.’
- ‘However included in this is a cold mineral drink, tea or coffee and two delicious profiteroles carved as swans for afters.’
- ‘Lunch, or dinner as it was called, consisted of soups, pasties or sandwiches, vegetables, and some sort of pastry for afters.’
- ‘All the meat is free range and the coffee, tea and chocolate are all organic and fair trade, so you can just about justify tucking into the calorie-crazed sticky toffee pudding for afters.’
- ‘Dinner was sausage and beans with coffee and a mousse for afters.’
- ‘Back on the Orient Express, it is guinea fowl en croute with champagne jelly for afters.’
- ‘To get the best out of this strange place you should really have a Mexican starter and a Polish Main course with maybe a mixture of Polish and Mexican puddings for afters.’
- ‘She roasts a chicken, or a piece of pork, makes a salad, possibly does something with rhubarb and lots of cream for afters.’
- ‘For afters I couldn't resist the sticky toffee pudding while my guest sampled three flavours of ice cream.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.