One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An auxiliary burner fitted to the exhaust system of a turbojet engine to increase thrust.
- ‘The air bypassed the engine compressor and turbine, and using the afterburner as a ram-jet combustion chamber, the available thrust is greatly increased above a Mach number of 2.0’
- ‘Because of its smaller thrust and lack of an afterburner, it has a lower removal rate than the F100 engines analyzed.’
- ‘It's powerful, with 35,000 lbs of thrust, and fuel efficient since it does not require fuel guzzling afterburners to run supersonic.’
- ‘Of course, there's only one way you can see if the flame is clear blue - I stood behind the engine and looked up the exhaust with the engine at full power and the afterburner lit.’
- ‘After 20 seconds of afterburner use, the afterburner failed and the nozzle fully closed due to oil loss.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.