One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An auxiliary burner fitted to the exhaust system of a turbojet engine to increase thrust.
- ‘After 20 seconds of afterburner use, the afterburner failed and the nozzle fully closed due to oil loss.’
- ‘Of course, there's only one way you can see if the flame is clear blue - I stood behind the engine and looked up the exhaust with the engine at full power and the afterburner lit.’
- ‘It's powerful, with 35,000 lbs of thrust, and fuel efficient since it does not require fuel guzzling afterburners to run supersonic.’
- ‘Because of its smaller thrust and lack of an afterburner, it has a lower removal rate than the F100 engines analyzed.’
- ‘The air bypassed the engine compressor and turbine, and using the afterburner as a ram-jet combustion chamber, the available thrust is greatly increased above a Mach number of 2.0’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.