One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Regarding African or black culture as preeminent.
- ‘Naming is important in rap and in Afrocentric music in general, where it is an act of invocation that captures the essence of one's being.’
- ‘This video provides a vision of African-American young men and women singing classical and Afrocentric music and performing African dance.’
- ‘‘I love the versatility of her music and her faithfulness to Afrocentric style,’ she says.’
- ‘Thus, in terms of the role of dialogue in an Afrocentric feminist epistemology, Black women may again experience a convergence of the values of the African-American community and woman-centered values.’
- ‘Fortunately for him, his African grandmother and mother and his Afrocentric Black American father have all contributed to his being grounded in a strong Black identity.’
- ‘They were the forerunners of today's Afrocentric rappers, opening the door to a jazz/hip-hop union that continues to be experimented with from London to New York.’
- ‘The term was later applied by Afrocentric writers to Africans.’
- ‘When she discarded the Afrocentric style that was her early trademark, record executives were dismayed.’
- ‘In the 1990s, researchers emphasized an Afrocentric approach to the study of Black identity.’
- ‘American hip-hop goes through Afrocentric phases but it doesn't want to know about its African imitators, or that's the impression you get reading the interviews in these liner notes.’
- ‘Educational programs that use an Afrocentric approach appear to be effective in changing African-American teenagers' behavior.’
- ‘In such travels to so many corners of the African American world, Black becomes the first Afrocentric, Pan-African, revolutionary ideologue and hero in world literature.’
- ‘The Black feminist perspective generates an underlying primary theory for moving to a culturally appropriate or Afrocentric model.’
- ‘But it's the Gullah culture - the Afrocentric arts, crafts, food, music, legends and language - that speaks to the soul of Black Americans.’
- ‘Controlled choice fosters a range of interesting pedagogies, the authors argue, from French immersion to basic skills to Afrocentric to Drama-based.’
- ‘I've talked a bit about my Afrocentric elementary school before.’
- ‘Many provide an Afrocentric curriculum that fosters racial pride among their students, which many black educators believe will help students do better academically.’
- ‘The last example invokes an Afrocentric royal African lineage and past in order to salvage a self-esteem beaten down by oppression.’
- ‘On the other hand, some school districts in selected African American areas have endorsed a controversial Afrocentric curriculum.’
- ‘One of the basic underlying assumptions of Afrocentric theory emanates from the school of thought delineated in Black family literature.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.