Relating to or denoting a family of languages spoken in the Middle East and North Africa. The family is commonly divided into five groups: Semitic, Omotic, Berber, Cushitic, and Chadic. Ancient Egyptian was also a member of this family.Also called Hamito-Semitic
- ‘Arabic is a branch of the Semitic languages, which in turn belongs to the Afro-Asiatic language family together with Berber, Ancient Egyptian, Chadic, and Cushitic.’
- ‘The vast majority of the languages spoken in the country can be classified within three families of the Afro-Asiatic super language family: the Semitic, Cushitic, and Omotic.’
- ‘Maltese is the only European language in the Afro-Asiatic family, which includes Arabic, Hebrew, Berber, and Hausa.’
- ‘In the Afro-Asiatic family of languages, Somali is an Eastern Cushitic language.’
- ‘There are more than 100 languages spoken in Chad, virtually all belonging to two great languages families: Nilo-Saharan and Afro-Asiatic.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.