One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The elephant native to Africa, which is larger than the Indian elephant and has larger ears and a two-lipped trunk.
Loxodonta africana, family Elephantidae
- ‘The corruption scores were then measured against three well-surveyed components of biodiversity: African elephants, black rhinoceroses, and forest cover.’
- ‘There were once more than 300 species within the family, known as proboscideans, but today only Asian elephants and African elephants still exist.’
- ‘New DNA research reveals that woolly mammoths were more closely related to modern Asian elephants than to African elephants.’
- ‘In the past three years researchers with the project have captured sounds from a variety of animals, including African elephants, rhinos, horses, chickens, and bottlenose dolphins.’
- ‘The extinct beasts are more closely related to Asian elephants than to African elephants, the researchers found, and the three species diverged within a surprisingly short period of time.’
African elephant/ˈafrəkən ˈeləfənt/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.