One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An action or policy favoring those who tend to suffer from discrimination, especially in relation to employment or education; positive discrimination.
- ‘The Court had previously made clear that affirmative action could not last forever.’
- ‘We want to know what you think about the upcoming case and affirmative action in general.’
- ‘Perhaps we should take a positive view, and look at this as affirmative action at its most effective.’
- ‘Besides advocating a crackdown he is also proposing affirmative action to help young people.’
- ‘They plan to host a summit next March to focus on the importance of affirmative action for women.’
- ‘All the companies surveyed indicated that they have affirmative action policies in place.’
- ‘Then, there are those who see affirmative action as a form of reverse discrimination.’
- ‘And call it what you like, but we need positive discrimination, or affirmative action.’
- ‘They have been appointed on a basis that reflects political correctness or affirmative action.’
- ‘Is affirmative action to reverse the legacy of discrimination an idea whose time has passed?’
- ‘He has supported affirmative action, but warned people of the damage it can do to social cohesion.’
- ‘Opposition to quotas is not the same thing as opposition to affirmative action.’
- ‘He soon will get another chance to stake out a position on affirmative action.’
- ‘It's a ridiculous jump to assume the only aim of knowledge is immediate affirmative action.’
- ‘Many argue that we can and should still make the case for affirmative action.’
- ‘The legal question at issue here is whether affirmative action is constitutional.’
- ‘For many years, it served as the primary basis for affirmative action programs.’
- ‘It should also contain a clear statement by the union in favour of affirmative action.’
- ‘However there is no pressure for compliance with any of these affirmative action programs and much needs to be done.’
- ‘This view is utterly independent of my views on the merits of affirmative action.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.