One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A written statement confirmed by oath or affirmation, for use as evidence in court.
testimony, statement, sworn statement, attestation, declaration, avowal, plea, submission, claim, contention, charge, allegationView synonyms
- ‘Although late in delivering the affidavits of documents the affidavits have now been delivered.’
- ‘When carrying out the enquiry the Court acts upon affidavits rather than oral evidence.’
- ‘Put another way, it is the content of his affidavit or statement which determines the assertion.’
- ‘Would you read onto the record the affidavits that contain the evidentiary material that is before us?’
- ‘The appellant's solicitor swore an affidavit as to why the witnesses were not called at the trial.’
Mid 16th century: from medieval Latin, literally ‘he has stated on oath’, from affidare.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.