Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being affable; geniality.‘an air of benign affability’
friendliness, amiability, geniality, congeniality, cordiality, warmth, warmness, pleasantness, niceness, charm, agreeableness, good humour, good nature, kindliness, kindness, courtesy, courteousness, civility, graciousness, approachability, approachableness, accessibility, amenability, sociability, gregariousness, conviviality, clubbability, neighbourliness, hospitable manner, obliging nature, easy-going manner, informality, lack of reserve, naturalness, relaxedness, ease, easinesschumminess, pallinessclubbinessView synonyms
- ‘The virtue of justice comes wrapped in other tempering traits: gratitude, liberality, affability, and mercy.’
- ‘But affability alone does not guarantee success.’
- ‘Perhaps his ability to weather the ebb and flow of public fickleness lies in his sheer affability and generosity of spirit.’
- ‘He was a brilliant attorney with a self-effacing kindness and affability unlike any I have ever seen.’
- ‘But affability, like intelligence, can mask a mean and meager spirit as well as the absence of a sense of proportion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.