Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A substance enclosed under pressure and able to be released as a fine spray, typically by means of a propellant gas.
atomizer, vaporizer, aerosol, sprinklerView synonyms
- ‘Another brand new label and debut release, this one's attractively packaged in an aerosol sprayed card sleeve.’
- ‘A fine mist is created as water passes over a high-frequency ultrasonic nebulizer - a device that creates an aerosol spray.’
- ‘Also, of course, there are the wider concerns about environmental damage from aerosols and litter from packaging.’
- ‘Ricin is a toxin derived from the beans of the castor plant, and can easily be produced as an aerosol spray or fine powder.’
- ‘Although many nerve agents are called gases, they're actually liquids that can be released as an aerosol or mixed with other liquids.’
- ‘Space sprays or aerosols can be effective for rapid knockdown and kill of adult flies present during the application.’
- ‘They have uses as propellants in aerosol spray cans, refrigerant gases, and foaming agents for blown plastics.’
- ‘One day he comes up with this idea to make dog poop disappear with an aerosol spray…’
- ‘Rapidly dissolving tablets and an aerosol spray are available for sublingual use.’
- ‘This gas has long been used as a propellant in aerosol sprays and in refrigerators.’
- ‘One took out an aerosol can and began spray painting green paint over the bottom of the shutters of the shop opposite.’
- ‘I hear the spray of an aerosol can and smell men's aftershave.’
- ‘Methods of delivery include drug-filled rubber bullets, aerosol sprays and dosing a people's food or water supplies.’
- ‘Stepping from the shadows, Reed extended his hand and sprayed the aerosol in the soldier's face.’
- ‘Spraying rooms with an aerosol material will not eliminate mildew problems.’
- ‘She shakes an aerosol can and sprays their coats, their heads, their tiny outstretched hands.’
- ‘Now take an aerosol can of hair spray lacquer and wave it a few times over the sheet.’
- ‘One of the two accomplices attempted to spray an aerosol in her face before the gang fled empty-handed.’
- ‘Because the release of aerosols is centered over land, its cooling effects tend to be localized over continents.’
- ‘The last thing he remembered was gasping with pain when someone sprayed an aerosol mist in his face as he left a crowded elevator.’
- 1.1A container holding an aerosol.
- ‘These gases are released from aerosols, refrigeration units, insulating foams, and industrial plants.’
- ‘At night, I danced with an aerosol of spray paint in my hand.’
- ‘You've seen James Bond wasting that snake in the film using his hair spray aerosol.’
- ‘The new drive-thru will cover everything from glass, paper, cans, aerosols, scrap metal, plastic bottles and textiles.’
- ‘Such devices have been available for many years for the delivery of asthma medications in the form of small, pressurised aerosols.’
- 1.2Chemistry A colloidal suspension of particles dispersed in air or gas.
mixture, mix, blend, compound, suspension, tincture, infusion, emulsion, colloid, gel, fluidView synonyms
- ‘During the tests, aerosolized spores were captured with an aerosol sampler and suspended in a solution.’
- ‘Scientists measure the amount of carbon dioxide, methane, sulfur aerosols, ozone, dust, and other chemicals in ice cores.’
- ‘It is also providing critical observations of atmospheric particles, called aerosols, over the ice sheets and the rest of the world.’
- ‘Research indicates that the transport of odors is also associated with dust particles or aerosols.’
- ‘This blister agent is a liquid at room temperature, but it can also be dispersed as an aerosol.’
1920s: from aero- + sol.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.