One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to, involving, or requiring free oxygen.‘simple aerobic bacteria’
- ‘White blood cells have respiratory enzymes for aerobic metabolism, and others suited to their particular functions.’
- ‘The importance of free fatty acids in aerobic metabolism is best shown in cardiac muscle.’
- ‘Humans use a form of cellular respiration requiring oxygen which is called aerobic respiration.’
- ‘Plants, as other aerobic organisms, require oxygen for the efficient production of energy.’
- ‘In this way, the plant can resume aerobic metabolic activity required for long-term survival.’
- 1.1 Relating to or denoting exercise that improves or is intended to improve the efficiency of the body's cardiovascular system in absorbing and transporting oxygen.
- ‘Some military and almost every civilian gym will have an aerobic or group exercise timetable.’
- ‘To get maximum results, include both weight training and aerobic exercise in your routine.’
- ‘The classes start with a short aerobic exercise to warm up the body before a 20 minute session on the poles.’
- ‘Another issue primarily dealt with by cardio / aerobic training has been the problem of body fat.’
- ‘Pace yourself using a mix of dance classes, weight training, and aerobic exercise.’
- ‘Any form of exercise is harmful in excess, but aerobic activity has known cardiovascular benefits.’
- ‘The intensity of exercise is the primary factor in maintaining or improving aerobic power.’
- ‘Some aerobic activity will warm the muscles up and get them ready to stretch.’
- ‘People in a residential colony are encouraged to take up group activity such as walking or jogging or aerobic exercises.’
- ‘Both aerobic exercise and interval training promote cardiovascular fitness.’
- ‘For a fit and healthy cardiovascular system, aerobic training should be performed three to four times a week.’
- ‘The provider may recommend that the pregnant woman cut back on her activities and avoid aerobic exercise.’
- ‘The bottom line is, even if you work out every day, aerobic exercise can only take the body so far.’
- ‘You now know about the health benefits of aerobic exercise and how it affects your body.’
- ‘Weight training and aerobic exercise are important for improving body composition.’
- ‘Rubin also strongly urges all dieters not to do any aerobic exercise, as it harms the body's immune response.’
- ‘There was a time in your life when you didn't even realize what you were doing was called aerobic or cardio exercise.’
- ‘There is evidence to suggest that aerobic exercise can improve some aspects of a person's quality of life.’
- ‘An aerobic exercise program will help improve the blood flow to the tendon and bursa.’
- ‘The class includes general aerobic exercise, step aerobics and pelvic floor exercises.’
Late 19th century: from aero- + Greek bios ‘life’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.