Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to, involving, or requiring free oxygen.‘simple aerobic bacteria’
- ‘Humans use a form of cellular respiration requiring oxygen which is called aerobic respiration.’
- ‘Plants, as other aerobic organisms, require oxygen for the efficient production of energy.’
- ‘White blood cells have respiratory enzymes for aerobic metabolism, and others suited to their particular functions.’
- ‘The importance of free fatty acids in aerobic metabolism is best shown in cardiac muscle.’
- ‘In this way, the plant can resume aerobic metabolic activity required for long-term survival.’
- 1.1Relating to or denoting exercise that improves or is intended to improve the efficiency of the body's cardiovascular system in absorbing and transporting oxygen.
- ‘An aerobic exercise program will help improve the blood flow to the tendon and bursa.’
- ‘The intensity of exercise is the primary factor in maintaining or improving aerobic power.’
- ‘Both aerobic exercise and interval training promote cardiovascular fitness.’
- ‘Any form of exercise is harmful in excess, but aerobic activity has known cardiovascular benefits.’
- ‘Some military and almost every civilian gym will have an aerobic or group exercise timetable.’
- ‘Some aerobic activity will warm the muscles up and get them ready to stretch.’
- ‘The class includes general aerobic exercise, step aerobics and pelvic floor exercises.’
- ‘For a fit and healthy cardiovascular system, aerobic training should be performed three to four times a week.’
- ‘To get maximum results, include both weight training and aerobic exercise in your routine.’
- ‘There is evidence to suggest that aerobic exercise can improve some aspects of a person's quality of life.’
- ‘There was a time in your life when you didn't even realize what you were doing was called aerobic or cardio exercise.’
- ‘Pace yourself using a mix of dance classes, weight training, and aerobic exercise.’
- ‘Another issue primarily dealt with by cardio / aerobic training has been the problem of body fat.’
- ‘You now know about the health benefits of aerobic exercise and how it affects your body.’
- ‘People in a residential colony are encouraged to take up group activity such as walking or jogging or aerobic exercises.’
- ‘Weight training and aerobic exercise are important for improving body composition.’
- ‘Rubin also strongly urges all dieters not to do any aerobic exercise, as it harms the body's immune response.’
- ‘The bottom line is, even if you work out every day, aerobic exercise can only take the body so far.’
- ‘The provider may recommend that the pregnant woman cut back on her activities and avoid aerobic exercise.’
- ‘The classes start with a short aerobic exercise to warm up the body before a 20 minute session on the poles.’
Late 19th century: from aero- + Greek bios life + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.