Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long extension ladder, especially on a fire engine, used to reach high places.
- ‘Gino kneeled at the end of the extended aerial ladder.’
- ‘We had to tackle the fire using ladders and the aerial ladder platform.’
- ‘We were forced to put out the fire using an aerial ladder.’
- ‘If you're a natural-born driver, consider piloting a pumper, tanker, aerial ladder, heavy rescue truck or an ambulance.’
- ‘We used an aerial ladder platform to get her down safely.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.