Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stringed instrument that produces musical sounds when a current of air passes through it.
- ‘There is a mystery about the Aeolian Harp that still has physicists arguing.’
- ‘When an aeolian harp string is activated by the wind, the fundamental is never sounded, only the overtone series.’
- ‘The aeolian harp uses the wind to generate musical sounds.’
- ‘My efforts to rescue the Aeolian harp from oblivion have earned me a Royal Commendation.’
- ‘An Aeolian harp is usually constructed as a rectangular sound box.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.