One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small, round dark-red edible bean.
- ‘Vegetarians can use aduki or mung beans.’
- ‘Lentils, adzuki beans, and chickpeas are often easier to digest than other kinds of beans.’
- ‘In a large bowl, combine the broad beans, chard, raw peas, tomatoes, spring onions, herbs, aduki beans and millet.’
- ‘We have this year's crop of adzuki beans almost sold already.’
- ‘Locals order shaved ice with ice cream and adzuki, Japanese sweet beans.’
2The bushy leguminous Asian plant that produces the adzuki bean.
Vigna angularis, family Leguminosae
- ‘Before the Adzuki plant has reached maturity, the beans are green and contain a high proportion of water.’
- ‘Two edible beans were selected for compatibility with the producers' existing cropping practices: the adzuki and the chickpea.’
- ‘Plus, you can grow adzuki plants from the beans.’
Early 18th century: from Japanese azuki.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.