One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The outermost layer of the wall of a blood vessel.
- ‘These are superficial lacerations of the intima that do not involve the media or adventitia.’
- ‘The submucosa, muscularis propria and adventitia of the esophagus were normal.’
- ‘The adventitia is a dense collagenous tissue that merges with the adventitia of the bladder and rectum and is highly vascular.’
- ‘These neuroendocrine tumors arise from the adventitia of the jugular bulb or the neural plexus within the middle ear space.’
- ‘The images span the entire thickness of the vascular wall from the intima to the adventitia.’
- ‘Veins typically have 3 layers: tunica intima, media, and adventitia.’
- ‘A similar sheet of human fibroblasts was wrapped around the media to provide the adventitia.’
- ‘The perimeters of the airway lumen and of the adventitia subtended two areas.’
- ‘This xanthogranulomatous tissue involved the adventitia of large-caliber vessels and infiltrated the atrial myocardium.’
- ‘The outer layer of veins comprises the tunica adventitia.’
- ‘With still greater increases in caliber, a distinct intima, media, and adventitia become recognizable.’
- ‘They show a distinct so-called adventitia capillaris, a thin collagenous membrane, surrounding the endothelial tube.’
- ‘It diffusely replaced and expanded the adventitia of the aorta.’
- ‘The pathology findings consist of a cyst of gelatinous contents between the media and adventitia causing luminal compression.’
- ‘The arteries were most susceptible, with bruising of the intima and adventitia and separation of the media from the vessel walls.’
- ‘The adventitia was stripped, and the endothelium was removed.’
- ‘The adventitia contains the cartilaginous rings interconnected by connective tissue.’
- ‘The adventitia is rich in collagen bundles, and contains some cells that may be fibroblasts or macrophages.’
- ‘The diameter of the mass narrowed as it approached the adventitia, which was perforated, and the tumor was present at the deep margin.’
- ‘There is an intense inflammatory reaction concentrated primarily in the adventitia of this blood vessel with some extension into the tunica media.’
Late 19th century: shortening of modern Latin tunica adventitia ‘additional sheath’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.